Earth Day is our yearly reminder to make cautious everyday efforts to help the environment. Check out these Earth Day plumbing tips from Mac Plumbing
Here are a few tips that won’t just save water and the planet, but may also help you save money on your water bill.
Conserve water & electricity
- Take shorter showers.
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s full.
- Turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth.
- This can save you an average of 2.5 gallons of water per minute
- Install a dual-flush toilet.
- A dual-flush toilet saves water by using as little as 0.6 gallons of water for a light flush and up to 1.6 gallons of water for a full flush.
- Regular toilets use 3.5 gallons of water per flush or more.
- Repair leaks in your home.
- Fixing any leaks in your home can conserve water and save you money.
- Have Mac Plumbing come out and check your home for leaks.
- Call a plumber if your toilet is constantly running.
- A running toilet can waste an average of 6,000 gallons a month.
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees.
- 120 degrees is the magic number as setting it too high is a waste of energy, and setting it too low can cause bacteria to thrive in the warm water in your tank.
- Speaking of water heaters… is it time to upgrade your water heater to a more efficient and environmentally friendly tankless water heater?
- For more information about tankless water heaters, check out our latest blog.
Other tips to follow
- Do not flush anything but toilet paper and human waste.
- Products like disposable diapers, wet wipes, and feminine products can cause a huge problem to the sewer system and can clog the drains.
- Be mindful of what you put down your garbage disposal.
- Fatty foods like butter, vegetable oil, meat trimmings, and bacon grease can cause problems for your disposal and clog drains.
- Here’s a list of what NOT to put down your garbage disposal.
- Clean up debris from your yard so it doesn’t run off into storm drains and rivers.
- Always pick up after your pet.
- Limit the use of fertilizers and pesticides in your yard.
- Properly dispose of household chemicals.
Mac Plumbing hopes you’ll follow these Earth Day plumbing tips, and if you run into any issues, our skilled and experienced plumbers can help you identify problems while recommending the right plumbing repair or replacement services for your home. Quack, quack, call Mac Plumbing (931) 552-5555.