Mac Plumbing has some basic tips to help you keep our garbage disposal clean and in good working condition
When it comes to your garbage disposal, there are many dos and don’ts to follow to make sure it continues to run smoothly.
Garbage Disposal Dos
- Use cold water
- Keep a steady flow of cold water while running your garbage disposal and for about 15 seconds after grinding has ceased to ensure that the food washes through.
- Hot water can cause fat to congeal and stick to the blades.
- Cold water also helps keep the unit from overheating
- Clean with ice
- Put a small amount of ice into your garbage disposal and run it to keep the unit clean.
- Be sure to keep the rubber stopper in place to keep the ice from flying out.
- Use de-greaser
- A generic de-greaser will help keep fat from building up.
- Clear the drain
- The drain should be snaked once every two years to prevent clogs and keep the sink draining smoothly.
- Use citrus as a freshener
- Grind up peels from lemons, limes, oranges, etc. to keep the disposal smelling fresh.
- The natural acid also hinders bacterial growth.
Garbage Disposal Don’ts
- Avoid hot water during grinding
- It’s ok to use hot water to clean the sink after grinding but always use cold water during the grinding process.
- Don’t pour grease or other materials down the disposal such as
- Plant fibers like celery and potato skins
- These materials can clog your drain.
- For a list of more items, go here.
- Don’t overload the disposal
- Make sure to gradually fill the disposal.
- Cramming the disposal full could overheat the grinders.
- Don’t use harsh cleaning chemicals
- Some cleaning chemicals can cause harm to the plumbing system and the environment.
- Do not put anything but food in your garbage disposal
- Garbage disposals are not designed to handle paper towels, rags, plastic, or other non-edible materials.
Mac Plumbing hopes you’ll follow these garbage disposal dos and don’ts, but if you do run into any issues, our skilled and experienced plumbers can help you identify problems while recommending the right plumbing repair or replacement services for your home. Quack, quack, call Mac Plumbing (931) 552-5555.