If you develop a plumbing problem and have water leaking, do you know where to find and how to turn your water main off? Mac Plumbing explains how to locate it as well as shut it off
A water leak can cause extensive water damage to your home if left unchecked. After you determine where the leak is you’ll need to find the shutoff. Check out these tips below.
Main shut-off valve
- If you don’t find a shutoff valve near a fixture you may have to shut the valve that controls the flow of water to the entire house which is normally located near where the cold water pipe enters the house.
- In most cases, the valve is located on a pipe right before the water heater and may have a red handle.
- Rotate the handle clockwise.
The whole property
- To turn off the water to the whole property, look for the main valve.
- This is usually located out by the street in a concrete box just below ground level.
- Once you locate the valve handle, turn it clockwise until it stops.
NOTE: This valve should always be completely open or completely closed – never leave half-open to control the amount of flow into the house. It is not designed to be left partially open.
Mac Plumbing recently had a customer, who after having hip replacement, was unable to manuver in the crawl space under his home to get to the main water valve. We were able to move his shut-off valve to a more accessible position located in his garage. If you find that you need your water main shut-off valve relocated, give us a call.
If you find that a fixture inside your home is leaking, look for shut-off valves close to these fixtures
- Kitchen or bathroom sink
- Water heater
- Washing machine
Here are the different valves around your house.
If all this sounds too technical or you decide it’s not in your best interest to try this at home, please call us! Mac Plumbing is here for any of your plumbing needs.
Be prepared with a check-up from Mac and if you do find yourself with plumbing problems, be sure to contact Mac Plumbing here or call us at (931) 552-5555.