Septic system repairs can be very costly. Mac Plumbing has some tips to maintain your system to help you avoid unexpected costs
First, what is a septic system? Your septic system contains a septic tank and a drainfield. The tank is located underground and holds solids and scum accumulated from your wastewater. With good maintenance, your septic tank should last about 30 years. When wastewater exits your septic tank, it passes on to the drainfield which is a shallow covered excavation in the soil. If it becomes inundated with wastewater and/or outside liquid, it can flood and lead to sewage backup which can lead to costly repairs.
Why is it important to maintain your system?
- Septic repairs can be expensive, so the more proactive you are in caring for and maintaining your septic system, the longer it will last.
- Mac Plumbing can recommend a pumping schedule based on your household’s water usage and the size of your tank.
Septic System Do’s
- Have your system inspected.
- If you’re not sure when your last inspection was, give Mac Plumbing a call.
- The average household septic system should be inspected every 5-7 years.
- If your system has mechanical or electrical components, it should be inspected annually.
- If you notice any of the following, call Mac as your system likely needs maintenance
- Odors, surfacings sewage, wet spots, or lush growth in the drain field
- Plumbing or septic tank backups
- Gurgling sounds in the plumbing system
- Slow draining fixtures
Septic System Don’ts
- Don’t flush these items down the toilet.
- Cooking grease or oil
- Dental floss
- Cigarette butts
- Coffee grounds
- Paper towels
- Cat litter
- And many other non-flushable items
- Don’t pour chemicals down the drain
- Whether it’s in the shower or the kitchen, avoid chemical drain openers and toxic liquids.
Our skilled and experienced plumbers at Mac Plumbing can help you identify any plumbing issues you may run into and recommend the right plumbing repair or replacement services for your home. Quack, Quack, call Mac Plumbing (931) 552-5555.