One of the biggest plumbing problems comes from clogged toilets. Mac Plumbing is here to tell you what items should never be flushed down your toilet
- According to American Water, you should never flush baby wipes even if they say “flushable.” Flushable wipes don’t disintegrate the way toilet paper does.
Cotton balls or Q-tips
- Like baby wipes, cotton balls and q-tips don’t break down like toilet paper and they clump together in your pipes causing clogs.
Feminine hygiene products
- These products are meant to absorb water therefore they expand when you flush them, which is definitely not good for plumbing.
- Diapers are also meant to absorb water and won’t break down in water which could cause your toilet to stop up in no time.
- When flushed, floss can wrap around parts of your septic system and burn out the motor. Dental floss also turns into a net which catches other debris.
Paper towels & tissues
- These products are not designed to break down the way toilet paper does.
- In addition to causing clogs, cigarette butts are made of toxic chemicals that can contaminate water.
- Some brands claim to be flushable but most toilets don’t use enough water to move the litter along properly in your pipes. Cat litter is also intended to absorb moisture and will cause a clog almost immediately.
- This may be surprising to learn since bleach is used as a cleaning agent, however, bleach is too harsh of a chemical for your toilet and septic system. Consider using vinegar instead of bleach for cleaning stains.
We hope you found this blog helpful and informative and hope you’ll check out our other posts!
Our skilled and experienced plumbers at Mac Plumbing can help you identify any plumbing issues you may run into and recommend the right plumbing repair or replacement services for your home.
Quack, quack, call Mac Plumbing (931) 552-5555.