There are several reasons why you could see a spike in your water bill. Mac Plumbing has a list of what might be the cause.
- A leaky or running toilet can waste up to 6,000 gallons of water per month.
- Do a soundcheck.
- If you hear a hissing sound, it may be a leaky tank flapper or leaky water line connection.
- Do a dye test.
- Get some food coloring or a dye tablet and drop it in the toilet’s tank. Wait 15 – 20 minutes and check the toilet bowl. If the dye is present, then there’s a leak.
Leaky faucets & fixtures
- A faucet that’s leaking about one drip per second can waste about 17 gallons a day.
- Do a visual inspection of all faucets and showerheads.
- If there’s a leak, it could be just a faulty rubber washer.
- This is an easy DIY project.
Outdoor line leaks
- If you’ve checked your toilet and faucets for leaks, it could be an underground water line leak.
- It could be caused by corroded water pipes, tree root intrusion, or animal activity.
- If you suspect an outdoor water leak, it is best to call Mac Plumbing to have your water lines checked.
Water wasting habits
- Top-loading laundry machines consume as much as 200% more water than modern, front-loading machines.
- Laundering ½ loads as opposed to full laundry loads.
- Overwatering lawns.
- Lengthy shower times. Showering for less than 5 minutes can result in up to 1,000 gallons of water each month.
- Running water to thaw meats and frozen food.
- Washing dishes by hand consumes 4 – 5 times more water than a dishwasher.
- Leaving the water running while brushing teeth or shaving.
By limiting water wasting behaviors, you can lower your water consumption drastically resulting in a lower water bill.
Call Mac Plumbing for all of your plumbing needs.
Be prepared with a check-up from Mac and if you do find yourself with plumbing problems, be sure to contact call Mac Plumbing at (931) 552-5555.